Thursday, January 17, 2013

Ordering and Organizing...



You can’t integrate God into your life. Part of understanding God is understanding your need for God and the place that He must take in your life. I have often found myself juggling way too many things, often some of them church-related, and become exasperated at the thought of finding time to pray or read His word and get everything else done. And like the clown trying to spin too many plates on all those sticks, the plates…and all my plans….come spinning to the floor in a crash of broken pieces.

In order to realize God’s many benefits, He has to be given first place in our lives. He can’t be integrated in or scheduled amongst all our other things. The first commandment starts where we all must start:  You shall have no other gods before me (Exodus 20:3). Despite good intentions, my other gods become my work, family, church responsibilities, media distractions, excess napping and eating from boredom and downright avoidance of important things because they require too much effort and thought, and thus become overwhelming. Sure, I have a lot of responsibilities in all those areas, and some irresponsibilities, too, but is it any wonder that making God my priority seems impossible? When will I realize that if I pray about those big, complicated and overwhelming areas of my life and make meditation on God’s word my first priority, thus submitting them to God rather than abandoning them for activities birthed in anxiety, denial and boredom, I just might make some headway in my life that would benefit me, those I love and minister to and to the glory of God?

It starts with God...no other before Him. Help me, Oh Lord, to make You my priority, and that by giving You your rightful place in my life, others may see You clearly in all that I really will finally accomplish in Your name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment